My league is doing a LGBTIQ focussed (that’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, intersex and queer, in case you were wondering) intake this year so LGBTIQ cultures have been more on my mind lately than usual. Also, I had a momentary lapse in judgement and put my hand up to help coordinate the project so I feel like a fraud if I don’t do more to understand the communities we’re reaching out to.
I’ve been bookmarking some of the more helpful or interesting articles I’ve read and I’ve selected five to share.
The first is about ways straight women can be allies to queer women. If you’re a straight woman, I encourage you to read this article but if you want the highlights, here they are:
- don’t get handsy without consent – this one can be easy to forget in the derby environment
- refrain from defining someone else’s sexuality – it’s not up to you if she’s lesbian/queer/bi/other
- nope, she’s probably not hopelessly in lust with you
- be cool – ie, don’t be OTT supportive of her relationships
- she’s not your sexual lab rat (unless you communicate about it first and decide, actually, she is)